AMERICAN PACKAGING CORPORATION
American Packaging Corporation (APC) is one of the top flexible packaging converters serving customers throughout North America. We are always seeking to improve our operations, deliver more innovation and value, and give back to our local communities. Our longstanding success as custom flexible packaging suppliers has been fueled by our commitment to providing more innovation, more quality, and more responsive customer service, along with our strategic investments in the latest technology.
LOCATION: Story City, IA
SUMMARY: Manage daily technical activities encompassing specifications, product development, customer complaints, material qualifications, customer certification programs and process improvements in all areas.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Technical Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Participate in training, embrace concepts of and actively practice the STOP Safety Program fundamentals to aid American Packaging Corporation’s efforts to achieve a zero accident rate.
- Complete product development assignments, including but not limited to researching raw material options, conducting customer presentations, developing test method protocols and developing new packaging applications.
- Manage in-plant technical trials through conducting pre-trial planning meetings, directing on-line manufacture of trial materials, documenting results of trials and ensuring trial results are met.
- Be Primary point of contact for Sales and Customers in given market responsibilities: Support Innovation, Price Requests, Sample Requests associated with account responsibility
- Familiarity with the principles and requirements of ISO 9000.
- Qualify new and alternate materials.
- Monitor Quality Assurance system to ensure that current procedures/testing correlate with customer requirements.
- Update system/procedures as required and develop appropriate procedures for new applications.
- Attend and participate in all company mandated meetings.
- Business travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Ideal candidates will possess a Bachelor‘s Degree (BA) from a four year college or university in packaging engineering, chemical engineering or related degree and/or 4+ years related experience and/or training.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribes style format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or board of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Candidate must possess/exhibit the following skills/abilities:
- Absenteeism: at work every day on time
- Accuracy: uncompromised
- Communication Skills: technical information, internal/external customers, all levels of employees
- Conflict Resolution
- Detail: attention to
- Innovation: constantly re-develop systems
- Multiple projects/priorities/deadlines
- Organizational skills
- Presentation skills
- Professionalism/professional demeanor
- Software: Microsoft Office Suite
- Team: work as a member with all employees
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, and use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and climb or balance. The employee is regularly required to hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Any lifting over 35 pounds would require assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exposure to wet/humid conditions due to manufacturing plant not being air conditioned.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
American Packaging Corporation is committed to equal opportunity for all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. American Packaging Corporation will make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you are interested in applying for an employment opportunity and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position please contact our Human Resources department