Req ID: 20367
Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
The Building Systems Engineer II is responsible for the operation, troubleshooting, repairing, maintaining, and documentation of the heating, refrigeration, air conditioning and other complex mechanical/electrical building systems.
- With minor supervision, competently operates chillers, boilers medical and lab gasses, medical and lab vacuum, motors, pumps, AHU’s emergency generators, building automation systems, fire alarm systems, high purity water systems, fire pumps, cooling towers, switch gear, motor control centers, computerized tube system, hot water generators and other related equipment.
- With minor supervision, competently troubleshoots core plant systems, chillers, boilers, steam system, medical and lab gasses, medical and lab vacuum, compressors, pumps, base refrigeration, motors, fans, cooling towers, air distribution systems, control systems and other related equipment.
- With minor supervision, competently repairs with less than 10% call back – motors, bearings, shafts, seals, packing, boilers, deaerator and surge system, chillers (oil and refrigerant), base refrigeration, thermostats, reheat valves, air boxes, fan coil units, prv’s safeties and other related equipment.
- Routinely monitors and accurately document equipment status. Takes immediate and independent action to correct variances and/or reports significant problems to the supervisor.
- Independently maintains equipment and related facilities in accordance with preventative maintenance standards and manufacturer’s standards.
- Provides prompt and courteous response to all service calls.
- Responds to all services calls within fifteen (15) minutes of request. Calls user within thirty (30) minutes of request if unable to respond. Confirms repair, adjustment, or need for follow-up serviced with requestor prior to leaving area. Provides service in a courteous, professional manner always.
- Performs maintenance services throughout facility on second and or third shift during week and on all shifts during weekend.
- Provides detailed communication both written and verbal to supervisor and co-workers about equipment and system abnormalities and changes.
- Documents repairs/adjustments performed through accurate, complete entries in logbook, on work orders and on preventative maintenance forms. Communicate all pertinent equipment and operation information to co-workers thereby providing for an accurate shift turnover.
- Prepares and submits work orders for follow-up by other Operations/Maintenance staff.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of all Hospital and department Emergency Response Procedures.
- Maintains a clean, safe environment throughout the facility.
- Monitors service contractors for work performance, quality customer interface and job site management.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
EPA 608 - Class 4
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: High School/GED. Trade School diploma or equivalent.
Required Experience: Five (5) years minimum experience in building mechanical systems.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Additional Technical Requirements
- Demonstrate a working knowledge and ability to operate computer-based fire alarm, power monitoring, and other facility management building control systems.
- Read blueprints, ladder diagrams, and wiring schematics.
- Troubleshoot and correct malfunctioning equipment.
- Operate and maintain multiple building mechanical, electrical and other infrastructure systems.
- Operate hand and power tools.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills with customers and co-workers.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146