Souder, Miller & Associates (SMA)- Voted one of the Top Work Places in New Mexico for the last five years. SMA is an employee owned company, providing a team of employees dedicated to the betterment of our clients, our communities, and most of all our employees. With more than 200 Staff, 13 offices, and over 30 years of service, SMA has provided technical expertise for a wide range of consulting services, including civil, environmental services and surveying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Employment Opportunity is the corporate and personal philosophy of the Company, its managers and owners. It is the policy of SMA to afford equal employment to qualified individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, gender identity, spousal affiliation or veteran status, and to conform to all applicable laws and regulations. The Company is fully committed to this concept and all personnel are expected to actively participate in the implementation of these policies.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform random drug screens. Driving records are also monitored monthly.
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
The Hiring Manager
SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within minutes of your job application submission, please check your email bulk or spam folders.
Souder, Miller & Associates is looking for an Engineer In Training II to support the General Civil Business Line. This person will assist Senior Engineers with projects assigned to them.
- Develops broad knowledge and skills in a specific practice area. specific practice area.
- Evaluates, selects and applies standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to perform a task or sequence of tasks for conventional projects
- Collaboratively uses judgment to determine adaptations in methods for non-routine aspects of assignments.
- Works on small projects or portions of larger projects.
- Attends client meetings - day or night.
- Performs moderate design tasks.
- Prepares portions of project documents.
- Reviews and edits specifications.
- Performs research and investigations.
- Assigns tasks to and coordinates work with EIT I technicians or administrative staff.
- Assists in determining schedule and budget requirements.
- Receives instruction on specific objectives.
- Receives direction on unconventional and/or complex problems, and possible solutions.
- Receives a thorough review of completed work for application of sound professional judgment.
- Assists in the analysis of reports, maps, drawings, tests, and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design project.
- Prepares design computations and quantity estimates.
- Assists in the preparation or modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, permits and designs for project. Assists in the development of probable construction cost estimates for projects within the department.
- Assists in client contact and communication pertaining to specific projects.
- Instructs drafts persons & technicians to reduce designs to working drawings.
- Reviews construction site to monitor progress and other duties per the contract documents.
- Serves as onsite project representative.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- May performs occasional drafting.
- Responsible for job specific quality system tasks as defined in quality manual.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university.
- 3+ years of experience.
- Must be proficient in algebra, geometry, calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Engineer In Training Certification and valid driver’s license.
- Must be actively pursing registration as a Professional Engineer.
- Must be a member of a professional practice organization.
- Professional Development
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Jury Duty Pay
- Paid Time Off (PTO)