Information Systems Specialist—Application Developer/Database Administrator
Ocean Associates, Inc. (OAI) is seeking an Information Systems Application Developer / Database Administrator to provide support to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Pacific Islands Regional Office (PIRO), in Honolulu, Hawaii. OAI supplies personnel support services on contract to government and industry clients for marine fisheries and protected species. This position will develop new web-based applications, improve existing applications, manage Microsoft SQL servers, and perform system analysis/design in response to the programmatic demands of the regional office. This is an excellent opportunity for a person with a strong information systems project management background to contribute to NOAA’s effort to manage and conserve the nation’s marine resources.
- Conduct requirements analysis, prepare process flow diagrams, and conduct customer interviews. Consult colleagues concerning maintenance, performance and functionality of software systems. Analyze, design and document data flows and data transformations between internal data stores and external entities and make recommendations to improve efficiencies.
- Install, upgrade and maintain database server software and application tools. Manage/monitor database replication. Maintain system security (Confidentially, Integrity, and Availability). Monitor and test SQL Server backup and restore processes. Monitor and troubleshoot SQL Server logs and events. Monitor and optimize SQL Server performance. Run MSSQL integrity checks and maintain indexes. Follow the established Government policies and procedures governing change and configuration management.
- Maintain and administer the PIRO on premise Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS). Monitor and test backup and recovery of TFS data to ensure system availability.
- Maintain or improve existing software systems by enhancing functionality or identifying and correcting software defects. Create and deliver data-driven reports.
Expected position start date: August 24, 2018
National Marine Fisheries Service Pacific Islands Regional Office, Honolulu, HI
Salary and Benefits
This is a part -time approximately 20 hrs/week position with excellent employee benefits, including medical insurance, holiday, vacation, and sick leave. Salary commensurate with experience.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's’ Degree in computer science, information systems, or related field; and seven (7) to nine (9) years experience as an Information Systems Application Developer / Database Administrator
In addition, the Information Systems Application Developer / Database Administrator must have specific and substantial knowledge and expertise in the following technologies:
- MS SQL
- Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008, 2012 R2, AND 2016
- Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
If you are interested in being considered for this position, you MUST APPLY THROUGH OUR WEBSITE ONLY. Go to OCEANASSOC.COM, click on Now Hiring, find the position you wish to apply for, click the 'For More Information' link for that position, follow instructions on the page to apply. (no emails)
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
- Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Include your name in the document file name.
- Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Ocean Associates Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.