The job opening listed below is posted in conjunction with our partner firm, Saltwater, Inc.Employment will be with Saltwater, Inc., not Ocean Associates, Inc.
Interim/Seasonal Sea-Going Technician (Levels I, II, III)-R1
Saltwater Inc. is a small, innovative company that collects data on fisheries and oceans and is bidding on a contract to provide Biological work. We are looking for people to fill a part-time, Interim/Seasonal Sea-Going Technician positions starting in spring 2020. These positions will be based in Woods Hole, MA or Narragansett, RI and deployed on survey vessels.
You will work for Saltwater as a contractor based at one of the NOAA Laboratories of the Northeast Fisheries Science Center.Your responsibilities will include:
• The contractor shall provide at-sea data collection assistance for a period ranging from 30 – 150 sea days per year.
• The contractor shall serve as a member of the scientific party standing watch for up to 12 hours per day.
• The contractor shall assist with the sorting, identification, measurement, and dissection of fish and invertebratescollected during marine research cruises.
• The contractor shall utilize research vessel based electronic data acquisition systems for collection of bothphysical and biological fishery-independent survey data.
• The contractor shall assist with general shipboard sampling activities, organization, and clean-up.
• The contractor shall assist with the administration and troubleshooting of electronic data acquisition systemsused during fishery-independent research cruises. (Level II)
• The contractor shall provide assistance with leadership of field parties or watches of up to seven individuals at sea.(Level III)
Skills, Experience and Education Requirements
• Experience with species identification of fish and invertebrates in the Northwest Atlantic Ocean.
• Working aboard research vessels conducting fishery research.
• Familiarity with bottom trawls and/or scallop and clam dredges.
• Familiarity with electronic data acquisition systems.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
• Work will typically be conducted during 12 hour shifts while at sea aboard research vessels in the Northwest AtlanticOcean.
• The number of sea days and period of performance will be variable depending on Ecosystem Surveys Branchneeds and duration of survey legs.
• Must meet OMAO health criteria for sea duty on NOAA vessels.
• Must be capable of working at sea for extended periods (trips range from 5 to 20 consecutive days at sea).
• Must have medical documentation indicating a passed TB test (PPD) within the past 12 months.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please APPLY THROUGH OCEANASSOC.COM , ADP WEB PORTAL.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
· Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
· Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
· Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
· Three professional references.
· Include your name in the document file name.
· Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are Equal Opportunity Employers and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are government contractors and is required by law to invite applicants to self-identify their race, gender, national origin, disability status and veteran status. Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are required to use the information it collects as part of its future affirmative action efforts in hiring. The information is collected anonymously by computer and is not connected to your application. You will see a place to check certain boxes in Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. online application. Even though the information is anonymous, self-identification is voluntary. You can always check the box that says you decline to self-identify.
Note: If you are not selected, your materials may be retained for present or future opportunities. We may use your resume in bidding on a project and if we are awarded the work we will contact you before seeking further applicants. If you do not wish us to retain or use your resume to seek work for you, please let us know in the "Notes" section on the second page of the online application.