TerraPower® is a nuclear energy technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At our core, we are working to raise living standards globally. The essential factor? Energy. In 2006, Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries decided that the private sector needed to take action. They believed that business interests could develop a scalable, sustainable, low-carbon and cost-competitive energy source that would allow all nations to quicken their pace of economic development and reduce poverty. TerraPower’s goal is to provide the world with a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy.
TerraPower, LLC was established to bring together the strengths and experience of the world’s public and private nuclear energy sectors to develop a new generation of nuclear reactors that would responsibly meet growing energy needs around the globe. Its approach addresses the traditional shortcomings of nuclear power, in terms of safety, cost effectiveness, environmental soundness, and resistance to weapons proliferation.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development, and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Mechanical Design Engineer
TerraPower, LLC. is seeking a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer. In this role, you will create structural and mechanical design solutions, 3D CAD models and engineering drawings for the conceptual and preliminary design development for advanced Generation IV reactors. Candidates must have extensive experience in mechanical/structural design and drafting using a mainstream CAD system, preferably SolidWorks.
- Coordinate input and requirements from the Engineering and Project teams to produce mechanical and structural design solutions.
- Provide planning and schedule input for design activities
- Create CAD models optimized for anticipated future work and engineering drawings
- Create engineering drawings, applying ASME 14.1 and Y15.5 standards
- Perform scoping analysis and calculations for design options
- Interface with the team’s engineering analysis activities
- Present mechanical design results for design reviews
- Assess technical merit of solutions provided by team members, including leading mechanical design reviews
- Interface with Subcontractors, providing direction and assimilating their work
- Support continuous learning and application of nuclear industry best practices in order to maintain the highest quality of engineering design and proactively identify process change/enhancement opportunities
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Education: B.S. degree in Mechanical engineering or equivalent preferred
- A minimum of two years of CAD proficiency is required, SoildWorks preferred
- Five years of mechanical and/or structural design experience is desired
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per (ASME Y14.5M)
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills, creative thinker
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging problems
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently during a given work week
- Nuclear design experience preferred but not required
- Experience with design codes such as the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code is desired
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trustworthiness and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
· - Motor Abilities: Sitting for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
· -Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
· -Repetitive work: Prolonged
· -Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
· -Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs/day
· -Travel required 0-5%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.