One of our clients is looking for a Medical Laboratory Scientist. This position is responsible for a high level of technical knowledge and application of that knowledge to department testing, clinical relevance, and complex problem-solving skills. This position serves as a department resource, and is responsible for assisting with department compliance with all pertinent laboratory accrediting agency and regulatory requirements (e.g., CLIA ’88, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA).
- Utilizes leadership skills to organize and perform patient testing and facilitate overall function of the lab. Ensures quality results through the use and evaluation of control materials, proper instrument maintenance, and collection and analysis of appropriate samples.
- Evaluates waived, moderately complex and highly complex test results and provides clinical expertise to patient care staff in interpretation of results and/or complex lab problems.
- Recognizes abnormal results or unusual circumstances and takes appropriate actions. Utilizes available resources to maintain and fix instruments and assist other laboratory personnel in resolving issues.
- Identifies current professional and technical issues and their impact on lab practices.
- Maintains appropriate accreditation as required by regulatory agencies. Provides input into developing new methods and instruments. Maintains current knowledge and skills applicable to job assignment through continuing education or professional organizations.
- Orders and maintains inventory of testing supplies in designated area. Recognizes and provides input for opportunities for improvements in financial performance.
- May provide input into hiring, orientation, educational needs, performance reviews and disciplinary functions of other laboratory personnel.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Foundation Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
Students may be hired at the job title equivalent to their future certification under the following conditions: Student is enrolled in a clinically recognized program (MLS), Student’s Clinical rotation in the core area must be completed prior to working in that core area and Student must complete program and pass certification test within one year of hire. Where no certification is available a Bachelor’s Degree with two years of experience is required. MLS/ASCP certification or equivalent. (Equivalent is defined as ASCP, AMT, HEW, AAB.) If no current U.S. certification, it must be obtained within one year. Individuals with specialty certification may only work in the discipline of their specialty. A current license in state practiced as required by state law.
Basic computer skills are required.
Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Laboratory Science preferred. Specialty certification in department’s area and Bachelor’s degree in a chemical or biological science preferred with exceptional skills and highly developed interpersonal skills.
Skills and Certifications
Bachelor's degree in Clinical Lab Science
Experience in blood bank or transfusion service
Experience in microbiology, chemistry, and hematology