Molecular Geneticist - Aquaculture Science
Ocean Associates, Inc. (OAI) is seeking a Molecular Geneticist to provide support to the NOAA Southwest Fisheries Science Center’s Genetics, Physiology and Aquaculture program (SWFSC-GPA). OAI supplies personnel support services on contract to government and industry clients for marine fisheries and protected species. This position will support the SWFSC-GPA and NOAA’s Office of Aquaculture with science synthesis, communication, and specific genetics expertise in a wide range of science and management issues pertaining to marine aquaculture.
We are seeking a scientist with experience in genomics and bioinformatics to work on several projects related to genomic resource development for marine aquaculture species. This includes:
- Analysis of molecular genomic data and interpretation of the results, including:
- Analyzing genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS) data for genome-wide analysis studies (GWAS)
de novo genome assembly
- RNA-Seq data analyses
- SNP variant calling
- R-statistical analyses
- Extracting and preparing genomic DNA for next-generation sequencing (NGS).
- Preparing manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Participating in ongoing projects.
Travel is anticipated
Average estimated hours per week are 20 to 25.
Start Date: ASAP
Location: La Jolla, CA
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
Selected individual(s) must have the following minimum qualifications:
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a clearly in a related field of study with emphasis in molecular biology, population genetics, evolutionary biology, forensic science or a clearly related field and a minimum of four (4) years demonstrated field capability and related directly to the individual task order. Three (3) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or Ph.D. from an accredited college or university with a major clearly in a related field of study with emphasis in molecular biology population genetics, evolutionary biology, forensic science or a clearly related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Thorough knowledge of US marine aquaculture policy as it pertains to genetics of finfish and invertebrates.
- Expertise in population genetics of marine fish and invertebrates.
- Expertise is developing genetic management protocols for fish and invertebrate aquaculture.
- Expertise in completing genomic analyses and publishing results in scientific journals
- Experience using R-statistical software
- Experience extracting and preparing genomic DNA
- Experience in presenting results in public forums
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please APPLY THROUGH OCEANASSOC.COM, ADP WEB PORTAL.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
- Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Include your name in the document file name.
- Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Ocean Associates Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.