Souder, Miller & Associates (SMA)- Voted one of the Top Work Places in New Mexico for the last Six years. SMA is an employee owned company, providing a team of employees dedicated to the betterment of our clients, our communities, and most of all our employees. With more than 200 Staff, 13 offices, and over 30 years of service, SMA has provided technical expertise for a wide range of consulting services, including civil, environmental services and surveying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Employment Opportunity is the corporate and personal philosophy of the Company, its managers and owners. It is the policy of SMA to afford equal employment to qualified individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, gender identity, spousal affiliation or veteran status, and to conform to all applicable laws and regulations. The Company is fully committed to this concept and all personnel are expected to actively participate in the implementation of these policies.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform random drug screens. Driving records are also monitored monthly.
We recognize and respect the amount of time you are about to invest by applying to this open position. If you complete this job application, you will be kept informed via email status updates (and text messages, if you opt in) throughout the evaluation process.
By continuing with this job application, you will be asked to answer job-specific questions. Please note that the questions contained in this job posting are our sole intellectual property.
Upon receipt of your responses, we will evaluate your submission. If selected for a personal interview, you will receive an email/text with scheduling instructions.
The Hiring Manager
SPECIAL NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within minutes of your job application submission, please check your email bulk or spam folders.
The Project Engineer II is responsible for planning, designing, implementing, and directing civil engineering projects as assigned and under the direction of a more senior engineer. The ideal candidate has a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, at least five years of experience in site civil engineering with increasing responsibility, and a license as a Professional Engineer in this state (or ability to obtain state license within 6 months of hire). He or she must be a highly motivated and self-driven individual with strong analytical and mathematical skills, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and strong customer service skills. Candidates must have good time management skills and must be able to prioritize and multi-task. A valid driver's license is required.
- Works with a Principal or Senior to establish project teams and completes project initiation documents for assigned projects, which includes detailed work scope/outline, budget, and schedule for completion
- Manages project implementation with assigned project team, which includes ensuring that all steps and procedures are taken according to SOPs and that all work is completed as planned and scheduled; keeping the client informed of the on-going status of a project; and providing adequate management, advice, and support to the members of the project team
- Applies broad knowledge of principles and practices in a specific practice area
- Coordinates and communicates with peers and may work with other engineers and project managers to avoid or eliminate conflicts in schedule due to the changes in various projects
- With senior supervision, evaluates, selects, and adapts standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Maintains project status by keeping the project status reporting system (database) current with the actions and changes that take place on assigned projects so the overall organization is able to respond to client requests
- Acquires broad knowledge of principles and practices of related fields and the ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- Prepares high quality reports and ensures that the review process and other quality control guidelines are followed and that final reports and presentations are completed per SOPs
- Works on multiple projects of moderate size or portions of major projects
- Prepares complete project documents with supervision
- Designs and conducts experiments and analyzes and interprets data
- Formulates and solves problems
- Assigns tasks to and directs interns, technicians, and administrative staff
- Plans and coordinates most aspects of the engineering work
- With supervision, prepares scopes, budgets, and schedules for assignments
- May help with proposals to provide professional services or obtain funding for engineering projects or programs
- Interacts with clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others
- Attends project meetings and presents specific aspects of engineering assignment
- May act as project manager
- Communicates/presents potential new business or resource information, competitive situations, or technology/regulatory factors to the company
- As part of the management of each project, ensures that costs are kept in line with the original budget for time, travel, and material expenses; discusses variations with supervisor; and issues project change notices to reflect agreed-upon changes
- Maximizes project profitability through appropriate project budgeting/pricing, utilization of resources and cost controls, and maximization of the profit margin on individual projects
- Stays proactive in presenting and communicating the capabilities and strengths of the company to clients and public
- When interacting with potential or existing clients, listens for and seeks out new projects that may exist or are being formulated and sets up meetings and/or participates in the development of proposals as requested
- All other duties as prescribed
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an accredited four-year college or university
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the state of employment OR ability to obtain state license within 6-months of hire
- 5 or more years experience in site civil projects
- Ability to travel (sometimes overnight)
- Professional Development
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Jury Duty Pay
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Personal Leave