Ocean Associates Consulting (OAI) is seeking a Software Engineer in Honolulu, HI to provide services on contract for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Pacific Island Fisheries Science Center (PIFSC). The Software Engineer will design, develop and install software solutions to support existing and new underwater monitoring and sampling technologies within PIFSC’s Science Operations Division (SOD). Responsibilities will include gathering user requirements, defining functionalities, and writing code in python, C++, and other languages (e.g. Oracle APEX) to support newly developed equipment used in research and surveys of the marine environment.
- Design, develop, install software solutions and expand existing software to meet PIFSC’s changing needs.
- Write code for open-source microcontroller boards (e.g. Arduino) and single-board microcomputers (e.g. Raspberry Pi).
- Demonstrate solutions and develop technical documentation (e.g., flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, commented code and clear code).
- Design and create tests for existing and created code to ensure compatibility and stability.
- Support PIFSC SOD’s engineering and organizational mission by accomplishing related assignments as needed.
Location: Work will be conducted primarily off-site at the contractor’s site with periodic visits to the NOAA office. For any work needed to be done on-site the contractor will have to come to NOAA Inouye Regional Center (IRC), Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center in Honolulu.
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Business Information Systems or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- 5+ years of experience with Python and C++ programming
- 3+ years of Oracle programming experience desirable
- 5+ years of experience with Linux OS
- 2+ years of experience with open-source microcontroller boards and single board microcomputers.
- Presence in Hawaii, on Oahu, in order to meet requests on short notice requiring a same day or next day response.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, you MUST APPLY THROUGH OAI’s WEBSITE ONLY. Go to OCEANASSOC.COM, click on Careers, then click on Job Openings, find the position you wish to apply for.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
- Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Include your name in the document file name.
- Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Ocean Associates Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employers and do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
Ocean Associates Inc. is a government contractor and is required by law to invite applicants to self-identify their race, gender, national origin, disability status and veteran status. Ocean Associates Inc. is required to use the information they collect as part of their future affirmative action efforts in hiring. The information is collected anonymously by computer and is not connected to your application. You will see a place to check certain boxes in the online application for this position. Even though the information is anonymous, self-identification is voluntary. You can always check the box that says you decline to self-identify.
Note: If you are not selected, your materials may be retained for present or future opportunities. We may use your resume in bidding on a project and if we are awarded the work we will contact you before seeking further applicants. If you do not wish us to retain or use your resume to seek work for you, please let us know in the "Notes" section on the second page of the online application.